[Home] -- [TOC] -- [Next]
To install TACT, do the following.
- If you are installing from a floppy drive, insert the
TACT program diskette #1 into the appropriate floppy
drive (A or B) and then change to the drive that holds this
- if you are installing from a hard drive (as you will after
downloading TACT from your Internet or Bitnet directory),
change to the directory that holds the INSTALL.EXE and other
- From the DOS prompt, type: install and press .
- An introductory screen now provides some basic information and asks
you to press any key to continue with the installation process.
- You are next asked where you would like TACT installed.
If the install program finds an old version of TACT on
your hard drive, pointed to by a PATH or TACTPATH statement, you
will be asked if you want to replace the older version of the
programs. If yours is a first-time installation, the default
location, c:\tact, is suggested.
- If this location is satisfactory, press Y.
- If you would rather have another location to install TACT,
press N instead. Then you will now prompted to enter the path you
wish to use.
- The appropriate files are now copied to your hard drive, using the
path(s) specified. You are prompted to insert the second diskette,
- You are next asked which drive your computer boots from. Computers
normally boot from C unless they are network workstations with no
hard drives. Press C if your computer boots from the C: drive. If
you are sure from computer boots from A:, press A.
- You are next asked if you want TACTPATH added to your AUTOEXEC.BAT,
or if it already exists there, if you want it updated to reflect
the path to the new version of TACT.
- If this is a first-time installation, or you are unsure, press Y.
- If you press N, please be sure to make the changes manually.
- If there is no TACTPATH set in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, TACT
Shell will not work. A copy of your previous AUTOEXEC.BAT
file will be created with the ending .BAK.
- You will next be asked whether you would like a SET TEMP command
placed in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. This SET variable is necessary
for TACT Shell to work. Answer Y if you are unsure.
- You are next asked if you want to increase the environment space,
set in your CONFIG.SYS file. TACT Shell requires at least
1024 bytes (1K) to operate.
- Press Y, unless you are sure there is enough space, or you are
going to make the changes manually. A copy of your previous
CONFIG.SYS file will be created with the ending .BAK.
Step 9 completes the installation procedure. If any changes have
been made to your AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS files, you should
reboot your computer before proceeding.
[Home] -- [TOC] -- [Next]